Computers and office equipment
An average computer system (desktop box and monitor) costs around $50 a year to run. But the benefit of getting more efficient office equipment doesn’t just stop at energy savings. Often the most efficient products run cooler and last longer - so it’s worth shopping around.
We are using more computer and technology devices, but you can avoid wasting energy and money.
Smart use of computers
- Turn your computer, WiFi and other equipment off at the wall at night, or when not in use. Use multi-plug power boards with a power switch to easily turn multiple devices off. Remote-controlled plugs and power boards let you turn equipment off without having to bend under your desk.
- Set up power management features - like putting your computer into ‘sleep mode' after a certain period of inactivity. Turn off screen savers as they can stop the computer from going in to sleep mode.
- Switch into sleep mode when you don’t need it for more than a few minutes.
Buying an energy efficient computer and equipment
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label when you’re buying a computer, laptop, monitor or printer. ENERGY STAR® qualified computers and equipment use the latest energy efficient technology. They use less electricity to carry out regular tasks, and when they’re not in use, automatically go into low-consumption mode.
- Compare standalone monitors by the Energy Rating Labels - the more stars, the better for energy efficiency.