Checking ceiling insulation
If you can do it safely, get a step-ladder and peek through the hatch of your ceiling into your roof space to see if you have insulation.
DIY insulation check
You will need to add a top-up layer of insulation if there is some insulation but it:
- is less than 12 cm thick (it should be thicker than the height of the ceiling joists)
- doesn't cover the whole ceiling
- has gaps in it, or places where it is squashed or tucked in.
You need to remove the old insulation and start again with a new layer if:
- it is wet or damp in areas
- has been damaged by rodents or birds.
Professional insulation check
If you can't check your own insulation, or aren't sure if you need any, get a professional to come and have a look for you. It's free and - if you do need some insulation, they can tell you if you qualify for funding.