New generation halogens
New generation halogens are good where an almost identical look of standard incandescent bulbs is more important to you than efficiency.
- Cost from $2 per bulb.
- Use up to 30% less energy than standard incandescent light bulbs for the same light output, but use 3 to 5 times more energy than LEDs or CFLs of similar brightness.
- A lifetime of at least 2000 hours, around twice as long as a standard incandescent light bulb.
- Can be used in light fittings with dimmers or operated by sensors.
Keep in mind
- LEDs or CFLs are a much more efficient and longer-lasting alternative to new-generation halogens.
- Halogens operate at high temperatures, so be careful to position where they won't be easily touched.