Gas hot water cylinders
Gas hot water cylinders are less efficient than gas continuous flow systems, but do work during power cuts.
- There's no electricity required, so gas hot water cylinders continue to heat and supply hot water during power cuts.
- Condensing gas hot water cylinders are more efficient than conventional gas hot water cylinders.
- Can be located outside your house, which can free up space inside.
Keep in mind
- The running costs are relatively expensive.
- You will have to pay a fixed charge for reticulated gas supply (if you don't already).
- While burning gas is relatively clean, the greenhouse gas emissions contribute to climate change.
- For safety reasons you can't put a cylinder wrap around a gas hot water cylinder (this could obstruct the air flow and extinguish the flame).
- The system needs to be correctly set up to ensure the water in the tank is regularly heated to 60oC to prevent the growth of legionella bacteria.
- Use our water heating tool to compare the upfront and ongoing costs of different water heating options for your situation.