Warmer Kiwi Homes FAQs

Warmer Kiwi Homes offers grants covering two-thirds of the cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation and heaters (maximum grant of $2,500 for heaters).

Warmer Kiwi Homes FAQs

What is the process?

Use the quick and easy eligibility tool to find out if you are eligible for ceiling and underfloor insulation or a heater, and to link up to a service provider for a free, no-obligation quote. The service provider will explain the process for the install.

You will need to have ceiling and underfloor insulation installed to EECA standard before becoming eligible for a grant for a heater.

 Click here to use the Warmer Kiwi Homes eligibility tool

How will I know if my home is insulated to EECA standards?

If your home has been insulated through a Government insulation programme, that will be confirmed when you apply for a grant for a heater using the tool. Otherwise an EECA insulation provider will check.

Click here to use the Warmer Kiwi Homes eligibility tool

Why do I need to have my home insulated before applying for a grant for a heater?

Insulation is the top priority for creating a warm, dry home and provides the greatest health benefits. However, you may be eligible for a grant for a heater if an insulation provider contracted to EECA has assessed your home and found they can’t install insulation – for example, if there is no space under the floor or in the ceiling.

Can I apply for a grant for a heater if I have already received a grant for insulation?

Yes. You can apply for a grant for a heater if you have already received a grant for insulation but you will need to meet the eligibility criteria.

How much will I have to pay?

Grants will cover two-thirds of the cost of an efficient heater, up to a maximum grant of $2,500.

Grants for insulation cover at least two-thirds of the cost but are not capped. In some areas, generous funding from community funders means the cost is very low to homeowners. 

Can anyone in the home have a Community Services Card for the household to be eligible?

The homeowner needs to have the Community Services Card to be eligible for a grant.

If I don’t have a Community Services Card, are there other ways I can qualify?

You may qualify if you live in a lower-income area. Use the eligibility tool to find out if you are eligible.

Click here to use the Warmer Kiwi Homes eligibility tool

If I get insulation, can I come back and get a heating appliance installed later?

Yes, you can. Insulation must be installed before or at the same time as a heating appliance. 

I have received an insulation grant but have since moved and bought another house. Will I qualify for another grant?

Yes, if you meet the eligibility criteria for the Warmer Kiwi Homes programme.

Can I get more than one heater?

No, the grant is for one heater for each home and in the main living area.

Will I be able to choose a specific model of heating appliance?

There will be some choice of wood burner or heat pump brands but the installer will make sure the model is sized correctly for the space that needs to be heated.

At what point will I be committed to getting an efficient heater installed?

You will be committed when you sign a contract with a heating installer.

Do I have to get the building consent from my council for the wood or pellet burner?

The installer will apply for the building consent from your local council on your behalf.

Are grants available across the country?

Grants may not be available in some remote rural locations and islands. Grants for wood and pellet burners are only available in some areas. Use our Warmer Kiwi Homes tool to see if there is a service provider in your region.

Is wall insulation included?

No, the programme covers ceiling and underfloor insulation.

Does my bach or holiday home qualify?

No. Warmer Kiwi Homes is aimed at permanent, low-income homeowners (owner-occupiers).