Warmer Kiwi Homes

Find out more about the Government's new insulation programme.

New heating and insulation programme starts 1 July 2018

warmer kiwi homes small3

This offer is available from 1 July 2018.Warmer Kiwi Homes is a new four-year Government programme offering grants covering two thirds of the cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation, as well as ground vapour barriers. Additional contributions from community organisations will be sought to make the retrofits as low cost as possible.

Grants covering two thirds of the cost of heating appliances will be available from July 2019.

Read the media release - EECA website

Warmer Kiwi Homes FAQs

Am I eligible for a grant?

To be eligible for a grant you will need to:

  • be the homeowner (owner-occupier) and have a Community Services Card or SuperGold combo card, OR
  • own and be living in a home in an area identified as lower-income (details to follow) OR
  • be referred by the Healthy Homes Initiative
  • own a home built before 2008.

Grants for landlords of low-income tenants are available until the end of June 2018 when Warm Up New Zealand: Healthy Homes comes to its scheduled end.

How will I know if I am living in a low-income area?

There will be information on this website by 1 July 2018.

If I get insulation this year, can I come back and get a heating appliance installed later?

Yes, you can. Grants for insulation will not be capped but the maximum grant for heating will be $2000. Insulation must be installed before or at the same time as a heating appliance.

Can anyone in the home have a Community Services Card for the household to be eligible?

The homeowner needs to have the Community Services Card to be eligible for a grant.

Does the programme cover the whole country? 

Remote rural locations may not all be covered by service providers. However, service providers may collect a list of houses needing insulation in remote areas and complete these jobs as a special project.

Is wall insulation included?

No, the programme covers ceiling and underfloor insulation, and where required ground vapour barriers.

Can I register interest? 

Contact one of the insulation service providers if you would like to register interest to have your home insulated under this new programme from 1 July.