No-cost energy saving
Save on your energy bill with free and easy energy-saving measures.
Office lights and equipment
- Turn your computer, WiFi and other equipment off at the wall at night, or when not in use.
- Adjust the power management settings on your computer as needed. You can choose the time delay for your computer to turn off the monitor, turn off hard disks and enter sleep mode. Turn off screen savers as they can stop the computer from going in to sleep mode. Always turn the computer totally off at the end of the day.
- Put your computer or laptop into sleep mode when you’re away from your desk for more than a few minutes.
- Turn off lights you’re not using (such as in hallways or bathrooms).
- Unplug chargers when your equipment is charged.
Setting up an office
You may not have the luxury of choosing where to site your home office, but if you can, use a small space that’s easy to heat on its own. Move your desk to a position that gets good natural light.
Heating and cooling
- Pull up blinds up to make the most of natural light.
- In summer, use blinds and open windows to prevent overheating.
- Use fans instead of air conditioning to keep cool.
- Use thermostats to control heating and air conditioning.
- Turn off heating and air conditioning after hours and while windows and doors are open.
- If you have a heat pump or air conditioner, clean the filters regularly to keep it running efficiently and effectively.
If you use a vehicle from your home-based business, there are ways to save on fuel.
- Drive more efficiently by accelerating slowly and braking earlier.
- If you have to drive and have more than one vehicle, drive the most fuel efficient vehicle.
- Combine trips where possible.
- For shorter distances, walk or cycle.
- Consider using public transport.
Get the best energy price
Talk to your supplier to make sure you’re on the right pricing plan for your home. You might want to shop around using a comparison site such as Consumer's Powerswitch to find and compare the best electricity and gas deals for you.